Computer & Job Skills Classes
Free computer classes are offered in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (2016) and Gmail. Receive an opportunity to gain a nationally recognized certificate from Northstar Digital Literacy. Course descriptions and schedules are listed below. The free classes meet in the Blount County Public Library’s new Learning Lab (outside the library in the former First Tennessee Bank branch building) unless otherwise *noted. For those with no previous computer experience, you will nee to practice using a mouse before you may enroll. Here are a few practice websites available: www.mouseprogram.com and www.pbclibrary.org/mousing/mousercise.htm
Spaces are limited and registration is required. To register, please visit the library's Adult Services Desk (Reference) or call 865-982-0981, option 3, or 865-273-1428. Sign up no earlier than one month prior to a class.
It's Your Career Soft Skills Training Classes
Once a Month on Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- “It’s Your Career,” will be
For Class Synopsis & Registration Information
- Go to www.blountchamber.com/community/festivals-events/soft-skills/ Soft Skills are strengthened and developed over time and are necessary if you desire to climb the career ladder. The classes are a collaboration of Blount Partnership, Adult Education Foundation of Blount County and the Blount County Public Library. For more information go to bcpl.populr.me/itsyourcareer
The ARCONIC Foundation Global Internship Program is made possible through a generous grant from the ARCONIC Foundation. It is provided by the Institute of International Education, Blount Partnership, Blount County Public Library and the Blount County Friends of the Library..
Paid Internship Program For Young Adults Interested in Manufacturing Careers:
Are you between the ages of 18 – 26 and would you like to get paid to intern at a local manufacturer? Join us November 1 through
December 21 to gain training and real-world, hands-on manufacturing experience with the possibility of getting hired permanently. Spaces are limited and registration is required. Contact Jackie Taylor-Tente with questions and to register, at 865-680-7668 or email@example.com For More Information go to bcpl.populr.me/arconic-internship-program
The program consists of three components:1) November 1 – 21: 3 weeks of Workforce Readiness Training (60 hours)
- Training will run 1-5 p.m., Monday - Friday. During this time participants will receive training in skills needed to obtain and maintain a job in the manufacturing field. Participants will receive a $300 stipend upon completion of this component.
- The Internship will be at a local manufacturer where participants will be paid $10/hr. for 100 hours, get hands-on job experience, and potentially get certifications such as forklift operation.
- Participants then return for Follow-up, Career Fair and Graduation. Participants will receive a $60 stipend upon completion of this component.
Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (1st Saturday of Each Month)
- Ages 16 and up come play with all the cool tech in the Learning Lab! This month’s focus will be on microcontrollers using Sparkfun’s Inventor’s Kit an easy introduction to Arduinos. Other lab equipment includes 3D printers, a vinyl cutter, a heat press, and other small electronics. Learn more about materials costs, equipment certification, and lab policies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org This will be in the Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign.
Need help with technology and don’t know where to start? Have a tough research question? Need a new resume? Having trouble with R.E.A.D.S.? Go to https://goo.gl/forms/35a9eT5qArPctgmU2 to complete a registration form to schedule assistance from a professional library staff member, and get help setting up your own personal learning plan using library resources.
Wordpress Classes – Online Registration Required
Tuesdays, October 2 through November 20, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. This 8-week class series, led by Jeremy LaDuke of Epic Nine Marketing, will explore how to setup, edit, and design a Wordpress website. Students will learn some basic HTML and CSS as well as explore some of the uses of PHP. If you are a business owner who wants to learn more about your website or an aspiring blogger, or if you just want to understand a little more about web design, then join us for this exciting workshop series. Online registration is required at no cost, and students should attend the whole class series. Limited seating available. This 8-week class will be in the Learning Lab, a stand-alone building on Cusick Street, across from the library’s outdoor sign.
- Week 1: October 2, Introduction to Wordpress
- Week 2: October 9, Plugins
- Week 3: October 16, Themes
- Week 4: October 23, Inner Workings of Wordpress 1
- Week 5: October 30, Inner Workings of Wordpress 2
- Week 6: November 6, Customizing with HTML and CSS
- Week 7: November 13, Basics of Online Marketing
- Week 8: November 20, Best Practices and Site Migration
- Wordpress Classes – Online Registration Required - OCTOBER 2 THROUGH NOVEMBER 20, 2018